Arts Emergency Relief Grants
This application deadline has passed.
To provide emergency funds to artists during the COVID-19 pandemic
Most SC practicing artists
Up to $500
July 1-December 31, 2020
These guidelines are for reference only.
FY22 Relief grants funding eligibility is restricted to FY22 operating support grantees.
About This Grant
The purpose of this South Carolina Arts Commission (SCAC) grant is to support individual artists who have lost income related to their artistic practice due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
- The applicant must be
- a practicing artist in dance, music, opera, musical theatre, theatre, visual arts, design arts, crafts, photography, media arts, literature, and/or folk & traditional arts;
- a legal resident of the US and SC with a permanent residence in the state for at least one year prior to the application date and throughout the grant period; and
- 18 years of age or older at the time of application.
- The applicant must not be a degree-seeking, full-time student during the grant period.
A note for organizations
Due to limited available funds, SCAC is unable to post an open call for nonprofit organizations for FY21 Arts Emergency Relief Grants. Organizations that meet funding parameters and areas of priority will be directly emailed and provided an access code to apply. Organizations will be invited to apply in accordance with the following restrictions:
- Must either have, or have applied for, an FY21 SCAC operating support grant
- Must be currently registered with the S.C. Secretary of State’s Office
- May not be a university or unit of government
- Must not have received an SC CARES Non-Profit Relief Grant (PDF list of recipients). Because those grants far exceeded what SCAC is able to offer, and in order to maximize what we are able to give to each applicant, we are focusing funding on organizations that did not receive SC CARES awards.
- The applicant must be
- Applicants may submit only one FY2021 SCAC Arts Emergency Relief Grant application per deadline.
- Applicants may not duplicate emergency funds.
- Example: If your studio rental is $500, you may not receive $500 for that month’s rent from an SCAC Arts Emergency Relief Grant and $500 for that same month’s rent from another source of emergency funds (such as the NEA or SouthArts). You could, however, receive $250 from SCAC and $250 from another source, for a total of $500 for that month’s rent.
- The applicant must not have full-time employment beyond their work as an individual artist (a minimum of 50% of the applicant’s taxable income must come from their work as an artist).
- Only individual artists may apply for this grant. Ensembles, groups, or artist collaboratives may not apply.
Eligible financial losses include, but are not limited to, those which – due to the COVID-19 pandemic – resulted from an inability to
- teach arts classes or workshops;
- participate in paid residencies;
- perform, curate, or otherwise participate in paid gigs;
- display work in art galleries or museum shows;
- sell work at craft fairs or artistic conventions;
- offer services as a teaching artist.
Note: Applicants will need to provide documentation of lost income.
Any activities carried out within this grant must align with state guidelines regarding COVID-19.
Priority will be given to applicants
- Who reside in the SCAC’s FY21 Opportunity Initiative Counties:
- Who reside in the federally-designated Promise Zone counties:
- Who did not receive an FY2020 SCAC Arts Emergency Relief grant.
- Who have not received any other FY2021 SCAC grants.
- Who have completed the S.C. Artists Pandemic Economic Impact Survey, conducted by SCAC and the Gaylord and Dorothy Donnelly Foundation.
- Who reside in the SCAC’s FY21 Opportunity Initiative Counties:
March 26, 2021
Applications may be submitted until 11:59 p.m. (Eastern Time) on the deadline date. However, please be aware that staff members will not be available to assist you with questions or technical difficulties after SCAC closes at 5 p.m. that day.
July 1-December 31, 2020
Up to $500
SCAC artist grant awards are considered taxable income.
Grant awards will be based on:
- panel review of the applications
- availability of funds, and
- Board approval.
How to Apply
Applications are accepted through our grants portal, which uses the Foundant platform.
New to Foundant? For frequently asked questions, registration instructions, and other helpful information, we highly recommend visiting the Grants Portal FAQ, before you begin working in the system.
PLEASE NOTE: You are urged to consider the Review Criteria (detailed in the “Review Process” section of these guidelines, under “After You Apply”) as you prepare your application materials. These criteria will be used to evaluate your application and determine the funding of your proposal.
As part of your application, you will need to upload documentation of income lost during the grant period, with dollar amounts shown. All documents will need to be combined into one file (acceptable file types: xlsx, xls, doc, docx, pdf, jpg, jpeg, gif, bmp). We strongly encourage you to prepare your file for upload before you visit the grants portal and begin your application. If you need assistance in this process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Documentation can include, but is not limited to
- Canceled contracts
- Emails and/or screenshots confirming cancellations
- Receipts for art sales during the grant period, along with evidence of cancellations or closures preventing additional art sales during that time
- Receipts, tax documents (please crop out or obscure any confidential or sensitive information, such as your Social Security number), or other written proof of previous income from an event, on which to base your expected income from that event during the grant period; e.g.,
- A tax document showing income from a 2019 event, along with emails or screenshots confirming cancellation of the 2020 event
- Receipts for art sales from July 1-December 31, 2019, with evidence of cancellations or closures preventing art sales from July 1-December 31, 2020
- A tax document showing income from a previously-taught class, along with emails or screenshots confirming cancellation of that class scheduled during the grant period
- Other written proof comparing income from a consistent event with income lost due to cancelation of that event during the grant period
- Other written proof comparing income from a similar time period with income lost during the grant period
Helpful Hint: To be eligible for the maximum award of $500, you will need to submit documentation that shows losses of at least $500. You do not need to submit documentation for all losses during the grant period.
The applicant must have an active account in our Grants Portal.
- If you have previously used Submittable to apply for other SCAC grants or programs, please note that the grants portal is a different system. Your Submittable credentials will not work; you will need a grants portal account to apply for this grant.
- If you have used the grants portal as both an artist and as a contact for a school or organization, be sure you log on with the correct account to apply for this grant.
- Follow the “Apply” link below. The grants portal will open in a new browser tab or window.
- Log on, then click the “Apply” link at the top of your Applicant Dashboard.
- Find “Arts Emergency Relief” in the list of available grant applications, and click the “Apply” button to the far right.
Not quite ready to apply? You can preview the application before you create an account or start an application.
After You Apply
The Grants Team will review submitted applications for completeness and compliance with guideline and application requirements. A review panel of arts professionals, including SCAC program staff and management, will evaluate the applications based on the published Review Criteria and Priority areas. An applicant’s panel comments are available to them upon request. Staff will then develop funding recommendations, based on these evaluations and the availability of funds. Recommendations will be presented to the Board of Commissioners, which makes final award decisions. Award notification is expected by the end of April 2021.
- Applicant indicates a commitment to craft and level of activity in their artistic field.
- Applicant is a member of the S.C. Arts Directory
- Applicant shows evidence of income lost during July 1-December 31, 2020 as a result of COVID-19.
- Number of dependents
- Access to other sources of emergency relief
- Applicant resides within an SCAC FY21 Opportunity County
- Applicant resides within a federally-designated Promise Zone county
- Applicant did not receive an FY2020 SCAC Arts Emergency Relief grant.
- Applicant has not received any other FY2021 SCAC grants.
- Applicant has completed the S.C. Artists Pandemic Economic Impact Survey.
If your application is funded, you (and your fiscal agent/receiver, if applicable) will enter into a contractual agreement with the South Carolina Arts Commission, and you must comply with all requirements stated in that contract. You will receive notification and instructions when your contract is available in the grants portal. You must submit your completed contract packet, including signatures and other documentation as instructed, by the date indicated in the system. You must also complete all other assigned follow ups by the due date.
Please note: Any significant revisions to grant-funded activities must be approved in writing, in advance, by the SCAC.
Additional details about managing an SCAC grant are available on our agency website.
Payment will be released upon receipt and approval of the grant contract.
This grant program is funded by the South Carolina Arts Foundation. In addition to giving credit to the SCAC and the National Endowment for the Arts, grantees must also credit this source in all advertising, news releases, printed materials, and promotion and publicity.
No Final Report is required for Arts Emergency Relief Grants.
For additional information, please contact the Grants Team (email@example.com | 803.734.8695).
We also highly recommend a visit to our Grants Coaching webpage, for
- open coaching calls for artists,
- category-specific information for grant applicants,
- topic sessions, and
- opportunities for one-on-one assistance.
Missed a group call or session? Look for the video link to access a recording of that presentation.
FY20 Arts Emergency Relief Grants
The first round of SCAC Arts Emergency Relief Grants were awarded in June 2020, providing support to arts organizations and artists to offset losses caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. Individual artists were eligible to receive up to $1,000; funding eligibility for organizations was determined by their budget size. The application period was April 29-May 15, 2020. The FY20 Relief Grant guidelines content is available as a PDF file.
FY20 Arts Emergency Relief grant awards totaled $506,736, funded in part by support from the National Endowment for the Arts (NEA) and the South Carolina Arts Foundation. A portion of CARES Act funding was granted to the NEA for distribution in part to state arts agencies like the SCAC. The subgranted funding was designated solely to provide relief to arts organizations in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. The SCAC awarded 177 grants totaling $381,636 to South Carolina arts organizations. The Foundation and the donors to its South Carolina Artist Relief Fund campaign contributed around $50,000 of the $125,100 the SCAC spread among 168 individual artists.
TOTAL FY20 ARTS EMERGENCY RELIEF GRANT AWARDS $507,736
34 West Theater Company Charleston $3,888 701 Center for Contemporary Art Richland $3,554 Aaron Railey Lexington $500 Adalia Ellis Florence $750 Adam Crowell Berkeley $750 Aiken Center for the Arts Aiken $3,176 Aiken Civic Orchestra Aiken $327 Aiken Community Theatre Inc. Aiken $2,693 Aiken Performing Arts Group, Inc. Aiken $2,933 Aiken Symphony Orchestra Aiken $2,350 Andrew Mille Charleston $750 Angela Easterling Greenville $1,000 Anita Blewer Charleston $750 Ann Brodie’s Carolina Ballet Richland $1,384 Annette Dees Grevious Orangeburg $1,000 Annex Dance Company Charleston $625 Arianne King Comer Charleston $750 Arpad Darazs Singers Lexington $625 Art Forms and Theatre Concepts, Inc. Charleston $1,737 Art League of Hilton Head Beaufort $3,888 Art Pot Multicultural Group Charleston $500 Artists Collective | Spartanburg (f.k.a. West Main Artists Cooperative) Spartanburg $2,056 Artists’ Guild of Spartanburg Spartanburg $1,738 Arts Access South Carolina Richland $ 10,967 Arts and Heritage Center of North Augusta Aiken $1,385 Arts Center of Coastal Carolina Beaufort $2,978 Arts Council of Chester County Chester $3,359 Arts Council of Greenwood County Greenwood $4,998 Arts Council of York County York $4,421 Ballet Spartanburg Spartanburg $4,798 Barnwell County Arts Council Barnwell $625 Beaufort Symphony Orchestra, Inc. Beaufort $1,303 Belton Center for the Arts, Inc. Anderson $2,333 Benjamin Weiss Charleston $500 Black Creek Arts Council, Inc Darlington $2,842 Bobby Branton Charleston $1,000 Bonnie Boiter-Jolley Richland $750 Brandon Nichols Dorchester $750 Buddy Strong Anderson $750 Bullets and Bandaids Spartanburg $500 Burroughs-Chapin Art Museum Horry $4,798 Camela Guevara Charleston $700 Cameron Williams Charleston $500 Carolina Art Association Charleston $3,126 Carolina Crown York $2,994 Carolina Dance Collaborative Greenville $2,583 Carolina Master Chorale Horry $1,978 Carolina Youth Symphony Greenville $3,970 Caroline Harper Richland $750 Caroline Stetler Charleston $500 Carrie Creech Greenville $750 Catherine Fleming Charleston $750 Cathy Hunter Colleton $750 Centre Stage – South Carolina! Greenville $4,466 Chamber Music Charleston Charleston $2,450 Chantale Gagne Charleston $750 Chapin Community Theatre Lexington $1,500 Chapman Cultural Center Spartanburg $3,118 Charleston Academy of Music Charleston $4,998 Charleston Artist Guild Charleston $3,158 Charleston Concert Band/Charleston Community Band Charleston $625 Charleston Gaillard Management Co. Charleston $1,563 Charleston Jazz Charleston $1,014 Charleston Stage Company, Inc. Charleston $2,779 Charleston Symphony Orchestra Charleston $2,985 Cherokee Historical and Preservation Society, Inc. Cherokee $625 Christina Chastain Lancaster $750 Christina Laurel Pickens $500 Christopher Lane Lexington $750 Cierra Asmond Richland $750 Circle Theatre Barnwell $500 City of Abbeville, The Abbeville $625 City of Charleston-Cultural Affairs Charleston $3,126 Clemson University – Brooks Center Pickens $1,500 Coastal Ballet USA Inc Charleston $500 Coastal Youth Ballet Theatre Horry $1,489 ColaJazz Foundation Richland $1,000 Colleton County Arts Council Colleton $1,000 Colour of Music Festival Charleston $1,000 Columbia Baroque Richland $625 Columbia Children’s Theatre Richland $4,998 Columbia Choral Society Richland $868 Columbia City Ballet Richland $2,843 Columbia City Jazz Conservatory Lexington $2,373 Columbia Museum of Art Richland $3,126 Columbia Music Festival Association Richland $2,870 Columbia Stage Society, Inc Richland $4,265 Connie Lippert Oconee $1,000 CREATE Conway, Inc. Horry $625 Creative Stylez Dance Company Richland $1,500 Cris Sumpter Charleston $500 Cultural Arts Center Fountain Inn Greenville $1,000 Cynthia Gibson Spartanburg $750 Cynthia Huston Charleston $750 Dana Rose Beaufort $500 Dance Matters Charleston $349 Daniel Mumm Charleston $1,000 Darion McCloud Richland $1,000 Daryl Knox Charleston $750 David Russell Kershaw $500 Debra Sherrill-Ward Charleston $750 Dennis Breedlove Florence $1,000 Dillon County Theatre Association Dillon $500 Donellia Chives Beaufort $1,000 Douglas Berky Pickens $750 Electric City Playhouse Anderson $1,000 Elisabeth Clonts Lexington $1,000 Elizabeth Ringus Barnwell $750 Emily Miller Charleston $750 Emma Barnes Beaufort $400 Emrys Foundation Greenville $1,500 Engaging Creative Minds Charleston $4,277 Enough Pie Charleston $1,780 Ensemble Eclectica Richland $625 Eric Jordan Charleston $500 Erika McKelvey Charleston $750 Fernanda Ornellas Caggiano Charleston $750 Fine Arts Center of Kershaw County Kershaw $4,230 Florence County Museum Florence $2,566 Florence Little Theatre Florence $3,789 Florence Regional Arts Alliance Florence $2,221 Florence Symphony Orchestra Florence $3,110 Foothills Philharmonic Greenville $625 Foothills Playhouse Pickens $1,000 Footlight Players Charleston $3,473 Fort Lawn Community Center Chester $1,489 Friday Arts Project York $475 Friends of Tapp’s Arts Center Richland $496 Gateway Arts Center/Council Oconee $625 George Vanderford Union $750 Gerald (Jerry) Stevenson Richland $750 Gerard Erley Richland $750 Gerry Thompson Horry $1,000 Gino Castillo Charleston $750 Greater Anderson Musical Arts Consortium Anderson $3,164 Greenville Arts Festival Greenville $3,126 Greenville Center for Creative Arts Greenville $4,099 Greenville Chautauqua Society Greenville $2,666 Greenville Civic Chorale Greenville $2,768 Greenville County Youth Orchestra Association Greenville $1,901 Greenville Jazz Collective Greenville $625 Greenville Light Opera Works Greenville $2,851 Greenville Symphony Association Greenville $3,126 Greenville Theatre Greenville $2,800 Greenwood Community Theatre Greenwood $4,004 Greenwood Performing Arts Greenwood $3,554 Gregg Barfield Anderson $1,000 Gregory Boatwright Lexington $500 Gullah Traveling Theatre Beaufort $625 Gwendolyn McKinnon Beaufort $1,000 Hagood Mill Foundation Pickens $1,500 Harold Meers Charleston $750 Heal with HeARTS Charleston $625 HEART Inclusive Arts Community Charleston $1,000 Heather Martinez Charleston $750 Hilton Head Choral Society Beaufort $2,851 Hilton Head Dance Theatre Beaufort $1,000 Hilton Head Symphony Orchestra Beaufort $3,200 Hirona Matsuda Charleston $750 Hub City Writers Project Spartanburg $3,573 Igor Begelman Greenville $750 Institute for Patient-Centered Design, Inc. Charleston $500 International Ballet Greenville $2,215 Irene Yereb Charleston $750 James King Greenville $750 James Wilson Bamberg $1,000 Janet Kozachek Orangeburg $750 Jean Barlow Lexington $750 Jean Hein Richland $750 Jennifer Weiss Charleston $500 Jessica Reynolds Anderson $750 Jill Bahr Charleston $1,000 Jim Litzinger Richland $750 Jo Ann Graham Beaufort $750 John Abraham Charleston $750 John Benson Spartanburg $750 John Durham Greenville $750 John Holenko Charleston $750 John Miranda Richland $750 John Tudor Lexington $750 John Wilkie Charleston $750 Jonathan Miller Charleston $500 Joseph Innella Charleston $750 Julia Jones Lexington $500 Kaminer Haislip Charleston $750 Karen (Alicia) Leeke Richland $750 Kate Osmond Charleston $750 Katherine Fix Richland $750 Katherine Rausch Spartanburg $750 Kathryn Collins Charleston $750 Kathy Prosser Oconee $1,000 Katie Badgett Dorchester $750 Keith Davis Greenville $750 Keith Tolen Richland $750 Kelsey Hunt Colleton $500 Key Changes Therapy Foundation, Inc. Lexington $1,500 Kim Hunter Charleston $750 Kimberly Lucia Charleston $500 Kimberly Roberts Lexington $1,000 Kristin Benson Spartanburg $750 Kristin Hall Lexington $500 Kristin LaRoy Greenville $750 Kristy Bishop Charleston $1,000 Lacy Miller Charleston $750 Lake City Creative Alliance Florence $1,000 Lancaster County Council of the Arts Lancaster $2,768 Larry Hough Lee $1,000 Laura Amiger Beaufort $1,000 Lauren Smith Charleston $500 Lean Ensemble Theater Beaufort $1,000 Lee County Arts Council Lee $495 Leslie Madden Charleston $500 Lexington Community Band Lexington $1,500 Libby Imbody Oconee $1,000 Liz Reeder Charleston $500 Long Bay Symphonic Society, Inc. Horry $3,554 Margaret Hoybach Dorchester $750 Maria Mebane Charleston $1,000 Maria White Ceramics Charleston $1,000 Maribel Acosta Charleston $1,000 Marina Cantlon Charleston $500 Marionette Theatre of South Carolina Richland $4,998 Mark Rapp Richland $750 Market Theatre Company, The Anderson $2,333 Marlanda Dekine Georgetown $750 Marlboro Civic Center Foundation Marlboro $1,000 Maurice Gelpi Berkeley $750 McClellanville Arts Council Charleston $2,999 McCormick Arts Council at the Keturah McCormick $3,110 Melanie (Kellie) Jacobs Charleston $750 Melanie Minette Hand Charleston $500 Metropolitan Arts Council Greenville $3,126 Michael Daniel Horry $750 Michael Rodriguez Dorchester $750 Michael Story Lexington $750 Michaela Pilar Brown Richland $1,000 Michel McNinch Richland $1,000 Michele Blank Charleston $750 Mira Scott Beaufort $750 Morris Center for Lowcountry Heritage Jasper $2,538 Music Foundation of Spartanburg Spartanburg $3,346 Music in Landrum (Young Classicals) Spartanburg $625 Myllasa Riggins Richland $750 Myra Bowie Charleston $500 Nakeisha Daniel Charleston $750 Nancy Davidson Charleston $750 Natalie Daise Georgetown $750 Newberry Museum, The Newberry $1,000 Newberry Opera House Foundation Newberry $3,200 North Charleston Pops Charleston $2,851 Oconee Community Theatre Oconee $500 Orangeburg County Fine Arts Center Orangeburg $1,999 Palmetto Luna Arts Richland $625 Pat Conroy Literary Center Beaufort $3,074 Patricia Mixon Lexington $750 Patrick Marzett Charleston $500 Pawleys Island Concert Band Georgetown $625 Pawleys Island Festival of Music and Art Georgetown $1,978 Peace Center Foundation Greenville $2,880 Penelope Winslow Chester $750 Philip Lipton Charleston $750 Photo SC Richland $1,500 Port Royal Sound Foundation Beaufort $4,265 Preserving Our Southern Appalachian Music Pickens $1,385 Proud Mary Theatre Company Spartanburg $1,500 Public Works Art Center Dorchester $1,500 Puppetry Arts Theatre of Charleston Charleston $625 PURE Theatre Charleston $3,473 Quintin Chaplin Charleston $500 Redux Contemporary Art Center Charleston $4,998 Rensing Center Pickens $625 Responsible ARTistry, Inc. Beaufort $500 Richard Holgate Charleston $750 Robert Helmkamp Charleston $750 Robert Maniscalco Dorchester $1,000 Robert Reed Charleston $750 Rock Hill Symphony Orchestra York $1,500 Roderice Gilliam-Wheeler Spartanburg $750 Roy (Ike) Carpenter Edgefield $1,000 Russell Bratcher Charleston $1,000 S. C. Bach Greenville $625 Sadie Nichols Dorchester $750 Sallie Bowers Charleston $500 Sandlapper Singers Richland $1,385 Sandra Roper Greenville $500 Scott Henderson Charleston $750 Sculpture in the South Dorchester $875 Seacoast Artists Guild Horry $1,000 Seth Gangwer Colleton $750 Shelia Thompson Charleston $750 Sherard Duvall Richland $750 Sigal Music Museum AKA Carolina Music Foundation Greenville $3,110 Singers of Summerville Dorchester $1,500 South Carolina Artisans Center Colleton $2,221 South Carolina Children’s Theatre Greenville $2,667 South Carolina Philharmonic. Inc. Richland $2,961 South Carolina State Museum Foundation Richland $1,000 South Carolina Theatre Association Greenville $823 South Carolina Watermedia Society Charleston $971 South Carolina Writers Association Richland $1500 Southern Guitar Festival and Competition Richland $625 Spartanburg Art Museum Spartanburg $3,675 Spartanburg Little Theatre Spartanburg $4,242 Speaking Down Barriers Spartanburg $3,554 Spoleto Festival USA Charleston $2,694 Stacey Bradley Charleston $750 Stan Gill Charleston $750 Steam Ed Publishing/A Backpack Journalist Charleston $500 Stephen Webb Charleston $750 Sue-Ham Community Development Center Williamsburg $500 Sumter Civic Dance Company Sumter $625 Sumter County Gallery of Art Sumter $2,450 Susan Gregory Charleston $750 Susan Lenz Richland $750 Sweet Adelines International-Heart of Columbia Lexington $625 Sylvia Hiers Orangeburg $750 Sze Man Cecilia HO Greenville $1,000 Tate Nation Charleston $500 Teena Wilder Sumter $250 Theatre of the Republic Horry $2,553 Theatre on the Move Inc. Greenville $500 Thomas Garrett Aiken $500 Thomas Meddaugh Charleston $500 Thomas Williams Charleston $1,000 Timothy Davis Greenville $750 Timothy Lowry Dorchester $1,000 Timothy Young Charleston $1,000 Tom Poland Richland $500 Tomas Jakubek Charleston $750 Toni Coffman Charleston $750 Trané N’Chel Charleston $750 Trustus, Inc. Richland $2,779 Union County Carnegie Library Union $625 USC – Koger Center for the Arts Richland $1,500 Varna International Music Academy Richland $1,500 Victoria Glover Lexington $750 Village Repertory Co Charleston $3,634 Warehouse Theatre Greenville $4,466 Watering Hole Poetry Organization, The Richland $625 William Miller Horry $750 Wits End Poetry Greenville $1,777 Workshop Theatre of SC Richland $2,605 Yasufumi Ishida Horry $750 Zachary Zaba Lexington $750 Zandrina Dunning Charleston $500 Zoe Naselaris Charleston $750
- Ce Scott-Fitts
- Dr. Sarah Lynn Hayes
- Kathleen “Kathi” Bateson
- Rusty Sox
- Victoria Smalls
- DéLana Dameron