To support the artistic and career development of emerging South Carolina artists
S.C. artists in the first 1-5 years of their careers
About This Grant
This grant is designed to assist emerging artists in South Carolina through project grant funding as well as mentorship and professional support during the grant period.
The combination of funding and mentorship is intended to:
- deepen artistic practice
- encourage career growth
- foster artistic growth, relevance, and sustainability
- provide professional development and opportunities for collaboration
Learn more about the program and see current and recent emerging artists here.
Note: This grant is awarded twice per fiscal year. Applications are accepted in:
- fall for winter/spring projects
- winter/spring for fall projects
- “Emerging artists” are defined as those who are at an early stage in their career development (specifically, artists who are starting their careers and have been active for one to five years).
- Age is not a factor in determining an emerging artist.
- An “active” or “practicing” artist is one who is creating work regularly (i.e., more than a few times a year).
- The term “emerging” refers to professional accomplishments and recognition, not to stylistic evolution.
- An emerging artist is expected to have a limited performing, publishing, or exhibition record.
- Emerging artists may demonstrate potential in their practice through risk-taking and pushing their work in dynamic ways.
Grant guidelines are subject to change until the application opens.
For your burning questions about the FY25 version of this grant, please register for our applicant coaching call on Feb. 22, 2024 at 3 p.m.
How to Apply
Applications are accepted through our grants portal, which uses the Foundant platform.
New to Foundant? For frequently asked questions, registration instructions, and other helpful information, we highly recommend visiting the Grants Portal FAQ, before you begin working in the system.
Not quite ready to apply? You can preview the application before you create an account or start an application.
- If you are seeking advisement, please contact Artist Development Director Tanisha N. Brown (803.734.8043 | firstname.lastname@example.org) before submitting an application.
- If you have submitted an application, and/or you have a current grant, please contact the Grants Team (803.734.8695 | email@example.com).
We also highly recommend a visit to our Grants Coaching webpage, for
Missed a group call or session? Look for the video link to access a recording of that presentation.