Grant Management Instructions
To: S.C. Arts Commission (SCAC) Grantees
From: The SCAC Grants Office
Congratulations on your recently-awarded grant from the South Carolina Arts Commission! We look forward to supporting your upcoming work.
The information on this web page will provide important guidance on how to manage your SCAC grant in our online system, so please read it thoroughly when your contract is issued and refer to it throughout your grant period. (We suggest you bookmark this web page for future reference. There is also a link in the menu of every Grants page on our website.)
By accepting a grant from the SCAC, you are entering into a legally binding contract with the State of South Carolina with certain requirements and obligations. We are providing you with information and tools to meet those obligations.
Since our online grants management system uses the Foundant platform, we highly recommend reviewing the frequently asked questions and other helpful information on our Foundant FAQ web page. You may also refer to the grant guidelines for the specific requirements of your grant program.
Your Grants Management Checklist
As part of your grant agreement, you are required to complete all the items in the checklist below (explanations of each item follow).
Failure to complete any of these items may result in delays, and/or cancellation of this grant award, and/or assessment of a penalty of 15% on your next grant award, and/or withholding future grant contracts until your current grant requirements are resolved.
For grantees using a Fiscal Agent/Receiver: Your Fiscal Agent/Receiver is the Contractor on record, but you, the Benefiting Organization, are responsible for ensuring grant compliance. (Note: For schools that are part of a school district, the district is your Fiscal Agent/Receiver.)
Submit your Contract Packet Follow Up within 30 days of issuing.
Your contract is delivered to you through our online grants management system; you will receive an email notification when it is available, with instructions on how to complete your submission. Your contract due date will appear on your contract and in your online account.
Read the entire contract so you are aware of all legal compliance and reporting requirements.
For grantees using a Fiscal Agent
(schools within a school district, nonprofit organizations without federal tax-exempt status, etc.)
Your Contract Packet Follow Up will consist of uploading PDF scans of your signed contract and W-9 form.
- If any information on your contract is missing or incorrect, please strike through the incorrect item(s), and write in the corrections or additions. In particular, we must have:
- accurate legal names
- a correct email address for the grant contact person, and
- your Fiscal Agent’s Federal Identification Number (FEIN); we are not able to process payments without this number.
- W-9 Form: Upload a completed and signed W-9 form for your Fiscal Agent, even if you have submitted one before. A blank form can be downloaded from IRS.gov.
For grantees NOT using a Fiscal Agent
(individuals, schools not within a school district, nonprofit organizations with federal tax-exempt status, etc.)
Your Contract Packet Follow Up will consist of an electronic signature agreement and an uploaded scan of your signed W-9 form.
- If any information on your contract is missing or incorrect, please provide the correct information in the Contract Updates field AND update your Foundant account information (instructions may be found in the “Your Account” section of our Foundant FAQ). In particular, we must have:
- accurate legal names
- a correct email address for the grant contact person, and
- your correct Federal Identification Number (FEIN) or Social Security Number; we are not able to process payments without this number.
- W-9 Form: Upload a completed and signed W-9 form, even if you have submitted one before. A blank form can be downloaded from IRS.gov.
Submit Pay Request Follow Ups as applicable.
Once you have submitted your Contract Packet Follow Up, it will be reviewed and approved by the Grants Office. Your payment arrangements and requirements are detailed in the GRANT PAYMENTS section of your contract.
Reminder: Unless your contract states otherwise, grant payments are reimbursements, based on your grant-related expenses.
If your contract allows more than one payment for your grant:
- Your first Pay Request Follow Up will appear on your Applicant Dashboard only after your Contract Packet is approved.
- Subsequent Pay Request Follow Ups (as applicable) will appear after previous payments have been processed.
If your contract stipulates that your grant award will be paid out in one lump sum after approval of your Final Report:
- You will not need to submit any Pay Request Follow Ups. Your payment will be based on your Final Report budget.
If you are using a Fiscal Agent
If you are using a Fiscal Agent/Receiver, be aware that grant funds will be released to your Fiscal Agent, who will then pay you.
Federal Funds: If you are paid with federal funds, you will be notified when you receive your grant payment. This will require special actions and auditing treatment. If you are audited, please advise your auditors of these federal receipts. The National Endowment for the Arts (NEA) has established the following requirements for recipients of federal funds:
- Provide a final grant report to the S.C. Arts Commission.
- Adhere to the prohibition against lobbying within a federally supported grant.
- Use US air carriers for foreign travel associated with this grant.
- Maintain records pertinent to the grant for three (3) years following submission of the final report.
It’s best to allow four to six weeks for your payment to be processed. However, that turnaround time varies greatly, depending on the time of year and the workload of our and other state agencies.
Additional Payment Assistance
Please contact the SCAC Finance Department at firstname.lastname@example.org if:
- you have questions about any grant payments you receive, including payments
- from federal funds, and/or
- without supporting documentation;
- you would like information about receiving your payment(s) via EFT (electronic funds transfer).
Acknowledge your grant in publicity materials and by notifying your legislators.
Beneficiaries of your programs should understand that they are supported by state and federal (taxpayer) dollars. The SCAC logo and crediting language are to be used in all publicity and promotion for grant-supported activities, including advertising, brochures, news releases, programs, websites, online and print publications, etc.
Refer to the PUBLICITY/ALL CREDITS section of your contract for exact requirements. Logo files and other information can be found in our Press Kit, in the Resources section of our website.
Please keep copies of sample publicity materials and all correspondence. You may be requested to provide evidence of fulfilling these requirements.
Submit interim reports and other required materials as applicable.
If your grant requires interim reports or other additional submissions, your contract will detail these requirements, and you will be notified when these items are available in the online system (along with the deadline for completion).
Submit your Final Report Follow Up.
Grant recipients must submit a Final Report Follow Up at the end of the grant period. You will receive an email notification when your Final Report is ready for use. The deadline for submitting this report is printed on your contract and is part of your record in the online system.
Make sure you’re getting our email.
Helpful Hint: Check your spam! When you begin using our online grants management system, please check your “Spam” or “Junk” folders and filters to be sure you can receive email from this address:
This is the address from which you’ll receive most communications about your online grants management. When you apply for a grant through this system, you should receive a confirmation email from that address. If you don’t see it in your inbox, please check your spam and/or contact your network administrator (particularly applicable for schools and school districts).
Contact your coordinator if any of the following situations occur.
- A situation arises that could substantially change your grant-supported activity or impact the successful, timely completion of your grant project or its requirements. Any changes to your funded proposed activities must be approved by the SCAC, in writing, in advance.
- There are changes in key personnel or contact information.
- You have questions about your grant or its requirements, or if you need additional assistance.
Thank you for your efforts to make your community and state places where the arts thrive and benefit all South Carolinians. We look forward to contributing to the success of your funded activities.