The South Carolina Arts Foundation
Established in 1972, the S.C. Arts Foundation is a nonprofit organization dedicated to recognizing, encouraging and supporting the art and artists of South Carolina. Throughout its history, the Foundation has pursued creative ways to help the business community and private citizens contribute to a thriving arts community across the state.
A Strategic Partnership
The S.C. Arts Foundation has forged a strategic partnership with the S.C. Arts Commission, the state’s government arts agency, linking its mission to the Arts Commission’s three goals :
- Artist development
- Arts education
- Community development through the arts
While operating independently of one another, the partnership between these two key organizations allows them to maximize resources and realize the greatest impact from programming and financial support statewide. Working with the S.C. Arts Commission, the S.C. Arts Foundation has helped advance the arts in South Carolina in significant ways:
- Funding artist training and development through Artist Fellowships.
- Designating proceeds from Driven by the Arts license plate sales to benefit arts education programs in schools and communities across the state.
- Purchasing new work for the State Art Collection – the state’s growing collection of contemporary South Carolina visual art.
- Recognizing outstanding achievement in the arts through support of the Elizabeth O’Neill Verner Governor’s Awards for the Arts.
- Providing exhibition and sales opportunities for South Carolina’s visual artists with the South Carolina Arts Awards Sale.
- Giving the private and business communities opportunities to support the statewide growth of the arts through tax-deductible contributions.
In addition to financial support, the S.C. Arts Foundation welcomes involvement from artists, volunteers, and leaders in the business, civic and arts communities. For information about getting involved, contact Harriett Green (email | 803.734.8696).