Individual Artist Fellowships (FEL)
To recognize and reward the artistic achievements of South Carolina's exceptional individual artists
Most practicing individual artists residing in S.C.
The FY20 Fellowships have been announced!
The guidelines and application for FY21 fellowships will be available closer to the next deadline (tentatively set for November 2019).
About the Individual Artist Fellowships
Fellowships recognize and reward the artistic achievements of South Carolina’s exceptional individual artists. Fellowship awards are made through a highly competitive, anonymous process and are based on artistic excellence only. The fellowship awards bring recognition that may open doors to other resources and employment opportunities.
- The applicant must be a practicing individual artist (duos, collaborative works, and other ensembles are not eligible), working in one or more of the disciplines eligible for the application year.
- Up to four fellowships are awarded each year (maximum of one in each discipline), with artistic disciplines rotating from year to year.
- The next eligible disciplines, pending board approval in June 2019, will be:
- FY21: Prose, Poetry, Dance: Choreography, and Dance: Performance (apply fall 2019)
- FY22: Visual Arts, Craft, Media: Production, and Media: Screenwriting (apply fall 2020)
- FY23: Prose, Poetry, Theatre: Acting, and Theatre: Playwriting (apply fall 2021)
- FY24: Visual Arts, Craft, Music: Composition, and Music: Performance (apply fall 2022)
- The applicant must also be
- A legal resident of the U.S. and S.C. with a permanent residence in the state for two years prior to the application date and throughout the fellowship period; and
- 18 years of age or older at the time of application.
- The applicant must not be a degree-seeking, full-time student during the award period.
- There is a limit of three fellowships in an artist’s career and a period of ineligibility of 10 years after the first fellowship is awarded. Artists who received fellowships prior to FY11 (July 1, 2010 – June 30, 2011) are now eligible to apply.
- Fellows may not receive any other S.C. Arts Commission grant awards during their fellowship year.
- An artist may apply in more than one category, but is only eligible to receive one fellowship. If applying in more than one category, a different body of work must be submitted for each category.
$5,000 per fellowship
There are no restrictions on the use of fellowship funds.
Fellowship awards are considered taxable income in S.C.
Please contact your coordinator for assistance.