Emerging Artist Grants
The application deadline for FY22 funding has passed.
To support the artistic and career development of emerging S.C. artists.
Most S.C. artists in the first 1-5 years of their careers
Up to $1,500
January 1, 2022 - June 30, 2022
About This Grant
The Emerging Artist Grant from the South Carolina Arts Commission (SCAC) is designed to assist emerging artists in South Carolina through project grant funding as well as mentorship and professional support during the grant period.
The combination of funding and mentorship is intended to
- deepen artistic practice and foster artistic excellence;
- encourage career growth, advancement, and sustainability; and
- provide professional development and opportunities for collaboration.
- “Emerging artists” are defined as those who are at an early stage in their career development (specifically, artists who are starting their careers and have been active for one to five years).
- Age is not a factor in determining an emerging artist.
- An “active” or “practicing” artist is one who is creating work regularly (i.e., more than a few times a year).
- The term “emerging” refers to professional accomplishments and recognition, not to stylistic evolution.
- An emerging artist is expected to have a limited performing, publishing, or exhibition record.
- Emerging artists may demonstrate potential in their practice through risk-taking and pushing their work in dynamic ways.
How to Apply
Applications are accepted through our grants portal, which uses the Foundant platform. For frequently asked questions, registration instructions, and other helpful information, we highly recommend visiting the Grants Portal FAQ, before you begin working in the system.
You are urged to consider the Review Criteria (detailed in the “Review Process” section of these guidelines, under “After You Apply”) as you prepare your application materials. These criteria will be used to evaluate your application and determine the funding of your proposal.
Not quite ready to apply? You can preview the application before you create an account or start an application.
After You Apply
- If you are seeking advisement before submitting an application, please contact Ce Scott-Fitts (803.734.8203 | email@example.com), Artist Development Director.
- If you have submitted an application, and/or you have a current grant, please contact the Grants Team (803.734.8695 | firstname.lastname@example.org).
We also highly recommend a visit to our Grants Coaching webpage, for
- New Grant Requirement: Moving from DUNS number to Unique Entity ID (UEI)
- open coaching calls for artists,
- category-specific information for grant applicants,
- monthly topic sessions, and
- opportunities for one-on-one assistance.
Missed a group call or session? Look for the “Video” link to access a recording of that presentation.