|Search This Site >>
Skip to Main Page Content
Be Driven by the Arts
Why Arts Matter
Arts in Education
Local Arts Agencies
Dates & Events
Arts & the Economy
Long Range Plan
Work by SC Artists
For Vacationers/ Visitors
Services & Programs
SC Arts Commission Grants Programs
Frequently Asked Questions
- When can I apply for the next awards?
The next deadline is November 1, 2017. The Fellowship Rotation Cycle is listed below.
- When are the fellowship awards announced?
Winners are notified and posted on the S.C. Arts Commission website in late summer each year.
- Who won the last awards?
The FY2018 fellowships have been announced >>.
Fellowships recognize and reward the artistic achievements of South Carolina's exceptional individual artists. Fellowship awards are made through a highly competitive, anonymous process and are based on artistic excellence only. The fellowship awards bring recognition that may open doors to other resources and employment opportunities.
- Fellowship awards are $5,000 each.
- Up to four fellowships are awarded each year, according to the fellowship rotation cycle listed below.
Fellowship Rotation Cycle
|FY (Fiscal Year)||Grant Period||Awards||Application Deadline|
Note: The FY2018 Fellowship Rotation Cycle includedVisual Arts, Craft, Media: Production and Media: Screenwriting.
Online Application Process
The fellowships application process is an online submission through Submittable. No paper applications will be accepted.
- be a legal resident of the U.S. and S.C. with a permanent residence in the state for two years prior to the application date and throughout the fellowship period;
- be a practicing individual artist (duos, collaborative works, and other ensembles are not eligible);
- not be a degree-seeking, full-time student during the award period;
- be 18 years of age or older at the time of application.
- There is a limit of three fellowships in an artist’s career and a period of ineligibility of 10 years after the first fellowship is awarded. Artists who received fellowships prior to the 2008-2009 fiscal year (July 1, 2008 - June 30, 2009) are now eligible to apply.
- Fellows may not receive any other S.C. Arts Commission grant awards during their fellowship year.
- An artist may apply in more than one category, but is only eligible to receive one fellowship. If applying in more than one category, a different body of work must be submitted for each category.
November 1, 2017
Applications must be submitted online by 5 p.m.
FY (Fiscal Year) 2019 Award Categories
- 1 award in Prose
- 1 award in Poetry
- 2 awards in Theatre:
- Theatre: Acting
- Theatre: Playwriting
July 1, 2018-June 30, 2019
$5,000 per fellowship. There are no restrictions on the use of fellowship funds. Fellowship awards are considered taxable income in S.C.
How to Apply
Fellowship applications must be submitted online via Submittable by 5 p.m. (EST) on November 1, 2017. Once you begin your application, you may access it at any time by logging in with your user name and password.
Application information will be posted August 7, 2017.
To Apply in Another Fellowship Category
You may apply for more than one Fellowship in the same year, but you must complete all application steps for each category and submit one application at a time.
Fellowship applicants' works are reviewed anonymously by out-of-state panelists who make their judgments based on artistic merit. A minimum of five applications must be received in a fellowship category in order for the discipline category to undergo panel review. The Arts Commission reserves the right not to award a fellowship in any discipline for which applications have been solicited. Fellowship awards are approved by the Board of Commissioners. Winners are notified and posted on the S.C. Arts Commission website in late summer each year.
If You Receive a Fellowship
Upon notification of award, fellowship winners will be asked to immediately forward a photograph and a resume to be used for promotional purposes. Fellows will receive a fellowship management folder through the postal mail. The enclosed contract (Terms of Acceptance) must be signed and returned to the S.C. Arts Commission, along with any other required paperwork, by the date listed. Fellows must also complete a Final Report by the date stated in the contract.
ALL GRANTEES are required to file a Final Report at the end of the grant period. The Final Report Due Date is printed on your contract. Failure to submit an accurate and complete Final Report by the due date will result in cancellation of the award and repayment of funds received. The S.C. Arts Commission will not fund applicants who have outstanding Final Reports. Go to the Final Report requirements >>
Please contact the appropriate S.C. Arts Commission discipline coordinator for guidance regarding eligibility and restrictions:
If you need technical assistance with the online submission process, contact La Ruchala Murphy, (803) 734-8680.
In addition to this page, you must read the following for complete guideline information:
- Before You Apply
- Completing the Application
- Terms & Definitions
- Support Materials
- After the Grant Award
- General Information
Be notified of
|powered by ChangeDetection|