|Search This Site >>
Skip to Main Page Content
Be Driven by the Arts
Why Arts Matter
Arts in Education
Local Arts Agencies
Dates & Events
Arts & the Economy
Long Range Plan
Work by SC Artists
For Vacationers/ Visitors
Services & Programs
SC Arts Commission Grants Programs
Frequently Asked Questions
- When can I apply for the next awards?
November 15, 2014. The Fellowship Rotation Cycle is listed below.
- When are the fellowship awards announced?
Winners are notified and posted on the S.C. Arts Commission website in late summer each year.
- Who won the last awards?
The FY2014 fellowships have been announced >>.
Fellowships recognize and reward the artistic achievements of South Carolina's exceptional individual artists. Fellowship awards are made through a highly competitive, anonymous process and are based on artistic excellence only. The fellowship awards bring recognition that may open doors to other resources and employment opportunities.
- Fellowship awards are $5,000 each.
- Four fellowships are awarded each year, according to the fellowship rotation cycle listed below.
|FY (Fiscal Year)||Grant
Note: The FY2014 fellowship rotation cycle included Visual Arts, Craft, Media Production, and Media Screenwriting.
- be a legal resident of the U.S. and S.C. with a permanent residence in the state for two years prior to the application date and throughout the fellowship period;
- be a practicing individual artist (duos, collaborative works, and other ensembles are not eligible);
- not be a degree-seeking, full-time student during the award period;
- be 18 years of age or older at the time of application.
- There is a limit of three fellowships in an artistís career and a period of ineligibility of ten years after the first fellowship is awarded. i.e. Artists who received fellowships prior to the 2004-2005 fiscal year (July 1, 2004 - June 30, 2005) are now eligible to apply.
- Fellows may not receive any other SCAC grant awards during their fellowship year.
- Support material submitted must include work that has been completed within the last five years.
- A minimum of five applications must be received in a fellowship category in order for the discipline category to undergo panel review.
- An artist may apply in more than one category, but is only eligible to receive one fellowship. If applying in more than one category, a different body of work must be submitted for each category.
November 15, 2013
Applications must be postmarked (or hand-delivered to the S.C. Arts Commission offices before 5 p.m.) no later than the stated date, or, when the deadline occurs on a weekend or holiday, no later than the next business day.
FY (Fiscal Year) 2015 Award Categories
- 1 award in Prose
- 1 award in Poetry
- 2 awards in Theatre:
July 1, 2014-June 30, 2015
$5,000 per fellowship. Fellowship awards are considered taxable income in S.C.
Please contact the appropriate S.C. Arts Commission discipline coordinator for guidance on completing the application form:
- Prose and Poetry:
Sara June Goldstein (803) 734-8694
- Theatre: Acting and Playwriting:
Joy Young (803) 734-8203
Fellowship applicants' works are reviewed anonymously by out-of-state panelists who make their judgments based on artistic merit. The Arts Commission reserves the right not to award a fellowship in any discipline for which applications have been solicited. Fellowship awards are approved by the Board of Commissioners. Upon notification of award, fellowship finalists will be asked to immediately forward a photograph to be used for promotional purposes.
All fellows are required to complete a final report at the end of the fellowship period. Failure to submit the final report will result in cancellation of the award and repayment of funds received.
Required Application Materials
Unless otherwise specified, each page/item of materials must be submitted in a format suitable for copying (8½” x 11” paper). Typeface must be legible, no less than 12 point. Do not use 3-ring binders, folders, or bind the application materials in any way other than with binder clips, paper clips, or staples. Do not fax your application materials.
Forms are in portable document format (PDF). (How To Use PDFs)
The application package must include one complete collated set of items as follows:
1. Fellowship Application Form
Submit an original form, completed and signed by the applicant. Do not submit a copy.
Note: The application form notes the original deadlilne date of November 1, 2013. The deadline has been extended to November 15, 2013.
- For ALL Disciplines:
- Support material submitted must include work that has been completed within the past five years.
- Support materials should demonstrate the range of the artist's ability and should be of the highest possible quality.
- The last four digits of the applicant's Social Security number must appear on the upper right hand corner of each page or item of support material. The applicant's name and address MUST NOT appear anywhere in or on the submission.
- Work submitted should be labeled to correspond with the discipline-specific Support Materials Form.
- Prose and Poetry (Fiction or Creative Nonfiction)
Applicants must submit two copies of up to 20 pages of writing.
- Each copy must be collated and stapled, and pages must be numbered.
- All works must be typed (double-spaced for prose) on 8.5" x 11" paper. Do not submit books, chapbooks, pamphlets, etc.
- Theatre: Acting
Applicants must submit one 15-20 minute DVD of a performance(s).
- The ideal work sample would show two or three contrasting pieces (or excerpts of pieces to meet time constraints).
- If the sample includes ensemble work, the DVD label and Support Materials Form must identify the role of the individual applicant in each selection included on the DVD. (Refer to "the applicant;" do not use the applicant's name.)
- Theatre: Playwriting
Applicants must submit two samples of full-length original work (one copy each of two different works).
- The work must be typed on one side of 8.5" x 11" white paper, collated and numbered to correspond with the Support Materials Form.
- No screenplays will be accepted.
- Plays should conform to the standard professional format (e.g. Samuel French. Order by calling (212) 206-8990 or by visiting www.samuelfrench.com).
3. Support Materials Form for the Appropriate Discipline
Use this form to list and describe all support materials (slides, CDs, DVDs, etc.). Please note that there is a different Support Materials Form for each discipline:
- Support Materials Form for Prose and Poetry
- Support Materials Form for Theatre: Acting
- Support Materials Form for Theatre: Playwriting
Submit an updated résumé with the application. Résumé must not exceed three pages in length. The résumé will be used to prepare biographical information (see an example) in the event the applicant is selected as a fellowship recipient or alternate. Résumés are not submitted to panelists for review.
5. SASE (if requesting return of materials)
Applicants must include a self-addressed, stamped envelope (SASE) if support materials are to be returned. Materials sent without a SASE will be discarded 90 days after announcement of awards.
Use this optional checklist to ensure a complete Fellowship application package. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
FY2015 Individual Artist Fellowships Program
S.C. Arts Commission
1026 Sumter Street, Suite 200
Columbia, SC 29201
In addition to this page, you must read the following for complete guideline information:
- Before You Apply
- Completing the Application
- Terms & Definitions
- Support Materials
- After the Grant Award
- General Information
Be notified of
|powered by ChangeDetection|