|Search This Site >>
Skip to Main Page Content
Be Driven by the Arts
Why Arts Matter
Arts in Education
Local Arts Agencies
Dates & Events
Arts & the Economy
Long Range Plan
Work by SC Artists
For Vacationers/ Visitors
Services & Programs
SC Arts Commission Grants Programs
The next Artists' Ventures Initiative (AVI) grant application cycle will begin November 1, 2018, with the posting of new guidelines, and a new application process in our online grants management system.
- Letter of Intent (LOI) materials will be available November 1, 2018. The LOI submission deadline is January 15, 2019.
- The full grant application (for those invited to submit) will be due March 26, 2019.
The information below is for reference only.
What is an AVI grant?
AVI grants encourage and enable the creation of new artist-driven, arts-based business ventures that will provide career satisfaction and sustainability for S.C. artists. Grants can be used to launch a new venture or significantly alter an existing venture.
Who can get one?
Professional-caliber South Carolina working artists (individuals and collaboratives)
How much could I get?
Up to $3,500 for a one-time project/single purchase
Up to $5,000 for an ongoing business venture
When is the deadline to apply?
January 18 for the initial online Letter of Intent. If you are invited to submit a full grant application, that will be due by March 23.
How do I apply?
Part One (Letter of Intent - Open to All):
- Read the grant guidelines carefully.
- Contact AVI program director Joy Young (803-734-8203) if you have questions or want to discuss your proposal idea.
- Prepare your Letter of Intent and the related materials, including work samples.
- Letter of Intent must be submitted online via Submittable by midnight (EST) January 18.
Part Two (Full Grant Application - By Invitation Only):
- If you're invited to submit a full grant application, review again the grant guidelines carefully.
- Contact AVI program director Joy Young (803-734-8203) if you have questions or want to discuss your application.
- Prepare your application materials. (Be sure to give yourself plenty of time.)
- Full application and support materials must be submitted online via Submittable by midnight (EST) March 23.
What happens next?
- S.C. Arts Commission program staff and management will review the Letters of Intent and select those who will be invited to develop their proposed venture into a full grant application
- The full grant applications will be reviewed by a panel of business professionals.
- S.C. Arts Commission staff and management will recommend funding, based on those reivews, to our Board of Commissioners.
- Once the Board approves the awards, we’ll post the results on our website.
If I get an AVI grant, what will I need to do?
- Sign a contract and complete other paperwork we’ll mail to you in the fall.
- Attend at least two professional development meetings during the grant period.
- Submit quarterly progress reports.
- Meet the required deadline, and keep good records.
- Credit your funders, and communicate with your state legislators.
- Participate in assessments if we ask.
- Let us know if anything changes.
- Report on how it went.
If I have questions, who can help?
The S.C. Arts Commission AVI program director, Joy Young (803-734-8203).