|Search This Site|
Skip to Main Page Content
Be Driven by the Arts
Why Arts Matter
Arts in Education
Local Arts Agencies
Dates & Events
Arts & the Economy
Long Range Plan
Work by SC Artists
For Vacationers/ Visitors
Services & Programs
The S.C. Arts Commission's Cultural Tourism program provides two online marketing resources that package the state's valuable arts products specifically for tourists and visitors to encourage their exploration of South Carolina's arts and culture.
The Arts Commission's Vacationers and Visitors web page provides tourists and visitors with a taste of our state's rich arts and cultural landscape. The web page also provides a marketing platform for the arts and arts organizations statewide.
The value of Vacationers and Visitors is enhanced through a partnership with the S.C. Department of Parks, Recreation and Tourism and eArts, an online newsletter and resource of arts and cultural attractions in South Carolina. eArts includes brief feature articles, perspectives from a "roving reporter," links to hotel accommodations and other deals, and an entry point to S. C. Arts Commission activities. eArts is distributed monthly to 10,000 consumers who have expressed significant interest in arts-related information about South Carolina.
The Cultural Tourism Marketing Collaborative is designed to link the arts community to tourism promotion in ways that improve cultural resources and support economic vitality for artists and communities using the arts for economic development. Also, Vacationers and Visitors and eArts are designed to present a unified cultural identity for South Carolina.
- Attract new cultural tourists to S.C.
- Increase cultural tourism
- Encourage return visits
- Encourage increased expenditures during subsequent visits
- Promote a more unified cultural identity for the arts in S.C.
- Provide a reliable information source for tourists interested in S.C. arts
This project is based on the growing recognition that arts and culture initiatives benefit communities across the state. Facilitating the exposure of creative works to the public enriches the educational process and provides new opportunities to shape a state cultural identity.
A strong and active state arts program stimulates intrastate, interstate and foreign tourism, which supports jobs, helps drive the economy, benefits the business sector and contributes to a vibrant arts scene.
Through this project, we encourage more culturally engaged and creatively competitive communities that attract members of the "creative class" and the industries that cluster around this highly educated and mobile workforce. As well, we can help create more wealth through entrepreneurial activity within the arts community.
To be considered for inclusion for Vacationers and Visitors and eArts, you must:
- Be an arts or cultural attraction, destination or event.
- Be able to demonstrate how your arts or cultural attraction, destination or event:
- Attracts new cultural tourists to S.C.; or
- Increases in-state cultural tourism by residents taking trips outside their home communities for any purpose, except daily commuting to and from work; or
- Encourages repeat cultural tourists to increase expenditures during the next S.C. visit.
- Submit your attraction, destination or event to Arts Daily. Submissions are only accepted online and must be received no later than 90 days before the date of the event.
- Maintain an updated website where visitors can find details about attending your attraction, destination or event.
- Include the S.C. Arts Commission’s logo on your website and link back to the S.C. Arts Commission’s Vacationers and Visitors web page.
- Be located within the borders of the state of South Carolina and have a South Carolina site or street mailing address.
- Have admissions available to the general public without discrimination on the basis of race, creed, age, sex, or nationality according to South Carolina law.
- Not promote gaming/gambling, nudity, drunkenness or lewd behavior.
- Be reasonably clean and meet S.C. Department of Health and Environmental Control guidelines, if applicable.
- Be able to provide, if requested, annual quantitative data on tourist participation, economic impact, economic stimulation, or growth to the local community.
- Establish marketing or advertising partnerships (local businesses, restaurants, hotels, or other attractions, destinations, events) that support tourism. Partners may be asked to purchase advertising in eArts.
Submissions are only accepted online.
- Add your event(s) to Arts Daily
We will contact you if your event is selected for Vacationers and Visitors or eArts. At that time, we'll ask you to add the S.C. Arts Commission’s logo to your website and link back to the S.C. Arts Commission’s Vacationers and Visitors web page.
Submissions must be received no later than 90 days before the date of the event.
Please note: Inclusion in Vactioners and Visitors and eArts may be based on monthly themes as well as geographic and artistic diversity. Four submissions per organization per calendar year are allowed.
An attraction or destination would include:
- Multi-event arts facility (e.g., The Peace Center)
- Art museum and gallery
- Performing arts center
- Theatre and performing arts
- Non-arts organization that significantly incorporates arts and culture (e.g., Brookgreen Gardens)
- African-American, Native American (e.g., Penn Center or Catawba Cultural Preservation) organization
An event would include:
- Events that appeal to cultural tourists. These are usually events such as Spoleto, but also could include arts-based cultural or "cultural heritage" events (e.g., Chinese New Year at Burroughs-Chapin Art Museum)
- Traditional arts/cultural heritage events (e.g., Catabwa PauWau, Moja Arts Festival, Sweetgrass Basket Festival)
About the program
Advertising in eArts
With a high open rate (37 percent), and 10,000-plus consumers who expressed interest in S.C. arts, the eArts newsletter is an affordable way to reach tourists. Contact Jason Manges for advertising rates and more information.
View past issues of eArts newsletters: