|Search This Site >>
Skip to Main Page Content
Be Driven by the Arts
Why Arts Matter
Arts in Education
Local Arts Agencies
Dates & Events
Arts & the Economy
Long Range Plan
Work by SC Artists
For Vacationers/ Visitors
Services & Programs
SC Arts Commission Press Releases
Elizabeth O’Neill Verner Governor’s Awards for the Arts Nominations Now Being Accepted
Oct. 12, 2011
COLUMBIA, S.C. – The South Carolina Arts Commission is currently accepting nominations for the 2012 Elizabeth O'Neill Verner Governor's Awards for the Arts. Guidelines and nomination forms are available online. Nominations are due by Dec. 15.
The awards, the state's highest honor in the arts, are presented to South Carolina businesses, organizations and individuals for their achievement or contributions to the advancement of the arts. Nominations can be made in the following categories:
- Arts in Education: open to S.C. individuals and/or institutions whose primary function is arts education.
- Organization: open to S.C. organizations who contribute to the advancement and/or support of the arts. May include: arts discipline organizations, arts councils, arts advocacy groups, guilds, arts departments of organizations, educational institutions, etc.
- Government: open to S.C. individuals and/or institutions generally described as a unit of state, local, county or municipal government, or elected/appointed officials.
- Business/Foundation: open to S.C. individuals or companies/foundations whose participation, support, and/or contributions have benefited the maintenance and growth of the arts.
- Individual: open to S.C. individuals who have demonstrated exceptional achievement and statewide impact through their leadership, support, and advancement of the arts. May include: arts professionals such as managers, administrators; arts supporters such as patrons, promoters, donors, etc.
- Individual Artist: open to S.C. artists of exceptional talent and creativity, in any discipline, whose contribution to the arts has helped guide and influence directions, trends and aesthetic practices across the state or to national or international levels.
The S.C. Arts Commission Board appoints a panel to review all nominations and present recommendations. Awards will be presented during a special ceremony in Columbia this spring. For more information about the Elizabeth O'Neil Verner Governor's Awards for the Arts, visit www.SouthCarolinaArts.com/verner or call (803) 734-8696.
The South Carolina Arts Commission is the state agency charged with creating a thriving arts environment that benefits all South Carolinians, regardless of their location or circumstances. Created by the South Carolina General Assembly in 1967, the Arts Commission works to increase public participation in the arts by providing services, grants and leadership initiatives in three areas: arts education, community arts development and artist development. Headquartered in Columbia, S.C., the Arts Commission is funded by the state of South Carolina, by the federal government through the National Endowment for the Arts and other sources. For more information, visit www.SouthCarolinaArts.com or call (803) 734-8696.