|Search This Site >>
Skip to Main Page Content
Be Driven by the Arts
Why Arts Matter
Arts in Education
Local Arts Agencies
Dates & Events
Arts & the Economy
Long Range Plan
Work by SC Artists
For Vacationers/ Visitors
Services & Programs
Poetry Out Loud: National Recitation Contest
The schedule and curriculum for Poetry Out Loud have been intentionally designed to fit into a teacher's busy schedule without much disruption. The program can take place over two to three weeks, according to each teacher's interest and schedule, and does not require full class periods during that time.
Get Involved and Sign Up!
- To register your school for Poetry Out Loud, please complete the Teacher Registration Form, which is now a simple online form. Wednesday, November 22, 2017 is the deadline for schools and teachers to sign up for the Official 2017-2018 Poetry Out Loud Competition in South Carolina. The Teacher Registration Form is due to the S.C. Arts Commission no later than this date.
- Once you've registered, invite other classrooms and teachers at your school to participate, and plan to host a schoolwide competition.
- Create a simple timeline that outlines your school's Poetry Out Loud program, including deadlines and competition dates, and then get started!
Free Program Materials
Every teacher who participates in Poetry Out Loud will receive a complimentary toolkit for classroom use. Each toolkit contains the 2017-2018 Teacher's Guide and Poetry Out Loud posters for the classroom and other competition venues. Similar to last year, the Teacher's Guide is constructed with pocket folders to hold the posters.
The toolkits do not include a copy of the Learning Recitation DVD. The footage from the Learning Recitation DVD is available on the Poetry Out Loud national website: http://www.poetryoutloud.org/poems-and-performance/video-recitation-series. In addition to the classroom toolkit, FREE teacher resources are avaiable online at www.poetryoutloud.org.
- POL Poem Anthology containing over 600 poems.
- Teacher Lesson plans -- All POL lesson plans are available on the website: http://www.poetryoutloud.org/teaching-resources/lesson-plans. Twelve (12) lesson plans are offered online, tailored to POL and covering a wide range of topics, including optional writing exercises.
- Judge's Guide, Advice for Judges, Contest Evaluation Sheets, Sample Tally Sheets and more are available to download for use during classroom and school competitions.
- Recitation Tips - audio and video clips are available to help students master the art of recitation
- NCTE and Common Core Standards
Not participating in this year's official competition?
Your school can still run its own, unofficial program using the online materials on the National Poetry Out Loud website.
NCTE and South Carolina Standards and Classroom Time
Poetry Out Loud satisfies most of the NCTE English/Language Arts Standards as well as many of the South Carolina English/Language Arts Standards. In addition to memorizing and performing great poems, students will have the opportunity to discuss poems and to write poetry of their own. The Program Guide includes optional lesson plans for the teacher, as well as all other elements the teacher needs to implement the program.
S.C. Poetry Out Loud
- Schedule & Deadlines
- Regional & State Finals
- Teacher Registration and Resources
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- Evaluation Results & Comments
- Past Years' Contests
- S.C. Poetry Out Loud Home
- Literary Arts Home
For more information, please contact Poetry Out Loud Coordinator Zuri Wilson-Seymore at firstname.lastname@example.org or (803)734-8692.
National Poetry Out Loud