SC Arts Commission 40th Anniversary
Events and Celebrations
- September 10-11 – Statewide Arts Conference, Newberry
- October 1 – Artist Fellowships deadline
Fellowships recognize and reward the artistic achievements of South Carolina's exceptional individual artists.
- October 18 – Free Night of Theatre, various locations
The S.C. Arts Commission will take part in Free Night of Theatre, an annual national audience development program for not-for-profit theatres sponsored by Theatre Communications Group.
- October 22-23 – Arts in Education Booking Conference, Columbia Conference Center
More than 100 professional artists will exhibit their skills at the annual Arts in Education booking conference.
- October 25 – Opening of the "The African American Voice," Arts Center of Coastal Carolina, Hilton Head
Features 37 works from the State Art Collection by 24 African-American artists who are among the state's best-known and widely celebrated practitioners.
- October 26 – ABC Project 20th anniversary luncheon (by invitation)
- November 11 – Last day for "The African American Voice," Arts Center of Coastal Carolina, Hilton Head
- November 15-16 – S.C. Mayors' Institute Colloquium
The S.C. Mayors' Institute is dedicated to enhancing the design and planning of S.C. communities.
- January 2 – First Novel competition deadline
The winning author will receive a book contract with the Hub City Writers Project, an award-winning independent press in Spartanburg, S.C.
- January 15 – Opening of "The African American Voice", the Arts Center, Clemson. Features 37 works from the State Art Collection by 24 African-American artists who are among the state's best-known and widely celebrated practitioners.
- January 15 – South Carolina Fiction Project deadline
This annual writing competition, sponsored by The Post and Courier and the S. C. Arts Commission, calls for previously unpublished short stories of 2,500 words or less.
- February 9-15 – National Symphony Orchestra's American Residency in S.C.
The National Symphony Orchestra of the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts has selected S.C. as the site for the 2008 American Residency. Each year one state is chosen to schedule the orchestra for a range of activities from concerts, clinics, master classes or workshops.
Full orchestra schedule:
- February 9 – Clover School District Auditorium, Clover
- February 10 – Hosted by the Greenville Symphony, Peace Center Concert Hall, Greenville
- February 11 – Brooks Center for the Performing Arts, Clemson University, Clemson
- February 12 –The Koger Center, USC, Columbia
- February 15 –USC-Aiken Convocation Center, Aiken
- February 12 – Arts Advocacy Day, the State House, Columbia
Sponsored by the S.C. Arts Alliance, Arts Advocacy Day is an opportunity to thank legislators for their past support, share success stories, and provide updates on current issues.
- February 22-24 –S. C. Book Festival, Columbia Metropolitan Convention Center
The S. C. Book Festival features more than 80 authors in solo and panel presentations, more than 90 exhibitors selling books and book-related items, and other special events.
- February 29 – Last day for "The African American Voice", the Arts Center, Clemson
- April 16 -- Jean Laney Harris Folk Heritage Awards Ceremony
The Jean Laney Harris Folk Heritage Awards are presented annually by the S. C. General Assembly to practitioners of traditional arts.
- April 16 -- Elizabeth O'Neill Verner Governor's Awards for the Arts Award ceremony
The Elizabeth O'Neill Verner Awards are presented annually by the Arts Commission to honor outstanding achievement and contributions to the arts.
- April 16 -- Verner Luncheon
Held in conjunction with the Elizabeth O'Neal Verner Governor's Awards for the Arts, the Verner Luncheon honors current and former Verner and Folk Heritage Award recipients
- April 16 -- Verner Art Sale
Held in conjunction with the Elizabeth O'Neal Verner Governor's Awards for the Arts, the Verner Art Sale features works by some of the state's finest contemporary artists.
- May 7 -- 40th Anniversary Celebration and Benefit Art Auction
The S.C. Arts Foundation will honor the 40th anniversary and the arts community with great food, a spectacular art auction and entertainment.
- May 23 – Anniversary closing reception during Spoleto, Center for the Arts, College of Charleston